Scenic Drive: Eskdale – Santon – Gosforth – Seascale – Drigg – Ravenglass
Any drive around this stunning area is going to be “scenic” but this suggestion might get you started.
And even if you use this as a starting point, and venture off the routes, there’s plenty to see wherever you are!
- Turn off down the Birkby Road opposite Sword House (home of the Eskdale Hunt hounds), and this takes you onto the A595 coast road.
- At Waberthwaite turn towards Newbiggin and there’s a nice drive past Eskmeals MOD firing range towards Bootle.
- Go onto Corney Fell and there are some stunning views over the coast.
- Before you get to Broughton, turn off through Logan Beck and you will come out just past Ulpha bridge before returning to Woodend over Birker Fell.
2. Sword House (Eskdale Hunt)
3. Muncaster Castle
4. Waberthwaite and Newbiggin
5. The Brown Cow Inn
6. Bootle (stores)
7. Corney Fell
8. Swinside Stone Circle
9. Duddon Iron Furnace
10. Ulpha Church
11. Ulpha Post Office